Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Morning runs

I cannot express how much I love my morning runs! That's not to say I don't mentally curse when the alarm goes off, especially since I have the most comfortable bed in America, but once I'm out there, it's wonderful. Even on those "slow days" when I feel like my feet are stuck in mud, there are still lovely moments, perhaps only a few.

I've tried running later in the mornings, on days when I don't have to work or am working at home, or even in the evenings after work, but I never enjoy it as much as the first-thing-in-the-morning run. Now, perhaps this is because exercise could be easier in the morning, according to the New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/10/health/nutrition/10best.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=exercise%20morning&st=cse.

But I choose to believe it's because of the atmosphere of the morning, the day just beginning. I have always wanted to be more of a morning person than I am -- one of those pop-out-of-bed-at-5 am people. I'm lucky if I can get up by 7, and I could easily stay in bed until 8:30. But I've discovered that my life is better if I get up early, so I make the effort (not always successfully).

I am a 46-year old vegetarian who started running about six years ago, and stopped eating meat and fish about nine years ago. I've had injuries and other roadblocks, but have managed to persevere. If you had told me in the past that I would one day call my self "a runner," I would have laughed, probably hysterically.

I want to use this space to talk about food -- yes, primarily vegetarian food -- and exercise. Not just running, although I can certainly wax on about that, but also bicycling, Pilates, and yoga. I hope there are enough of you out there to have some interesting coversations!

1 comment:

  1. I started running not too long ago actually and I feel like I'm not capapble of running cause now I have a shin splint that won't go away. I don't know what to do :[

    btw i'm vegetarian too :D

    ReplyDelete